4.05.2012

The Jewish Gospels


Daniel Boyarin’s The Jewish Gospels: The Story of the Jewish Christ is a welcome revelation. Not only is Daniel Boyarin a universally celebrated author for his understanding of Talmud and ancient writings, his knowledge of history and scholarship is exceedingly well exhibited in this title. So rarely does a book break so much new ground, and still manage to exact a severe blow to the impotent arguments of anti-missionaries. This is an incredible book, and it's been an absolute joy for me to discuss the many implications of Boyarin’s discoveries with others over the last week.

In fact, I dare anyone who has bought into the modern myth (that the Sages have believed and taught that the suffering servant in Isaiah 53 is Israel) to read The Jewish Gospels. That's only the beginning, though. This small format title (160 pages) packs in so much vision - it really is a marvel. I honestly can’t recommend it highly enough - absolutely essential reading.

The Jewish Gospels will certainly disturb those (in Christianity, as well as Judaism) who relish blindness and cling to ignorance - central pillars for far too many today. Daniel Boyarin reveals essential truth - truth this world desperately needs. The concepts Boyarin expounds upon in The Jewish Gospels are the key to the future of Judaism - and Christianity. If you feel you're ready to read an astonishing, challenging, and completely eye-opening book – it’s available here.

Chag Pesach sameach to you all!

4 comments:

  1. Shalom U'vracha Luke,

    I finished the book in a day! I couldn't put it down and i'm actually reading it again. One amazing aspect is that Daniel Boyarin is not a believer in the Master! It is a great to see others writing of the fact that the subject of a Divine Moshiach is not foreign to Judaism, no matter how much many would make you believe otherwise it is sketched into Israel's history.

    Daniel Boyarin shows the inter connection of the first (Christians/Nazarenes)and how it was a sect within the Judaism of the 1st century! Personally it is one of my favorites!!

    Rey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, Rey. It's awesome. I love that Boyarin is secure and educated enough to be honest about what Judaism (and the faith that preceded it) has actually taught historically. His honesty and open-mindedness seems very rare in this field of research.

      I'm going back through the extensive footnotes now, and our rabbi just started teaching a six week course on it. We've been recording it, so I'll see if I can get that to you next month. Thanks so much for writing, Brother.

      Delete
  2. Hi. Not sure why trying to post a comment with my WordPress account didn't work, so I'll try this way. This isn't a comment on this particular post, it's just a note to let you know that I included you in my Liebster Awards list:
    http://meiravsblog.wordpress.com/2012/04/14/liebster-awards/
    May our Lord keep blessing you in all that you do.
    Meirav

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Todah rabah, Meirav! I appreciate you thinking of KOEOY when bestowing such an honor. All the best to you this year!

      Delete