11.17.2011

Will vs. Way

I’ve had a few discussions recently with a Christian friend that have really caused me to boil things down a bit - bringing those ethereal and spiritual ideas we accept without hesitation into the lens of someone who is unable to accept them, or perhaps, has never heard such things. It seems that there are a great many out there who desire to know G-d, His "will for their life", and to walk in what He has planned for them - some even hoping to find a believing spouse, but they reject the concept of the Word of G-d being directly applicable to their lives in any real, tangible way. To them, it's like the U.S. Constitution. They know it's out there, and they're vaguely familiar with what it says, but they're certain it doesn't say anything that directly pertains to their life today. This perspective troubles me greatly. If you don't feel that becoming one with HaShem, subsequently purging the influence of this darkened world from your heart and mind is G-d's "will for your life" and that He has provided us with instructions on how to do just that, I don't know what else there is to say.

I've found, in these recent conversations, that it's beneficial to completely re-approach the idea of who Yeshua is, what He has shown us, what He accomplished, what He has enabled us to accomplish through Him. While, depending on your audience, this can be painstaking, it is completely necessary. Because so many Christians have been programmed to shut down at the mention of anything they perceive to be "legalistic", I have to explain that I'm not advocating adding “works” or any similar notions to the salvation that has been freely provided us through Yeshua - but then ask, what has He saved us to do? Equally, I’m not a proponent of putting on a show to persuade someone into adopting my belief system – as some try to suggest Shaul was doing - but then ask, how do we do our "works before men so that they might glorify our Father in heaven", as we are instructed by our Master?

I’m simply advocating being salt, being light, being a disciple of my Master, Yeshua. Do I do it flawlessly? Absolutely not. Do I do it well? No, not really. Does that mean I should give up or assume I was never supposed to even try? Of course not. To be a “disciple” is to discipline yourself to emulate the life and “walk” of your master. It’s simple, really, and we’re commanded to do it. Discipline is a process, though - and for some aspects of our flesh, it can be a lengthy one. The flesh does not want to be disciplined. It wars against the standards of G-d. It causes us to rebel – not only in our hearts, but deep in our minds. Our desire to defy the instruction of G-d gives place to an incorrect understanding of His Word - and vice versa. Understandably, it’s nearly impossible to perceive the will of G-d using a mind that is in rebellion to it. One of the most interesting questions that has sprung forth from these discussions is, what does it mean to bring every thought captive to Yeshua?

3 comments:

  1. I hear you Luke. I encounter the same problem, and so are many of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it, Dan. I hear it from many others, too. So how do believers, practically, bring every thought captive to Yeshua? Can there be any other understanding of this process but that of continually comparing all aspects of our life with His?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post! Too true. As with evaluating the life of any other person, their actions are even more important than their words. Why do so many treat Yeshua differently?

    ReplyDelete