2.08.2012

Keep

The L-RD appeared to Yitzhak and said, "Sojourn in this land, and I will be with you and will bless you, for to you and to your offspring I will give all these lands, and I will establish the oath that I swore to Avraham, your father. I will multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven and will give to your offspring all these lands. And in your offspring all the nations of the earth will be blessed, because Avraham obeyed My voice and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws." ~ Genesis 26:5

Which of G-d's commandments, statutes and laws did Avraham keep?

2 comments:

  1. Depends on who you ask lol. Rashi and a number of other commentators say that Avraham observed all the Teachings of the written and oral Torah before they were given at Sinai through his gift of prophecy. Ramban agrees with slight objection in that Avraham didnt observe certain precepts (like prohibiting the marrying of two sisters) and that his observance was limited to the time he spent in the Promised Land. Some, like Radak and Ibn Ezra, say he observed the Noachian precepts, and others, like Maharal, say he just followed the positive commandments. What do you think he kept?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Swanny. I suppose it's not too important what I think he kept. I just find it interesting that the phrasing used in Genesis 26:5 is the same as it is in Deuteronomy 11:11, the latter, of course, speaking of adherence to the Torah as it was given at Sinai. Does the idea that G-d said He would write Torah on our hearts in the future, necessarily mean that He had never done so in the past?

      Delete