6.10.2011

Baggage Claim

Understanding of the notion I've posted about today varies greatly among believers. This could only be the case within an enormous, international group of people with such diverse backgrounds, experiences, worldviews, and beliefs. The degree to which it would be accepted would vary much less, however. I understand this completely - and at the risk of offending most that identify with the term “Christian”, I'd like to present an idea that many would surely consider abhorrent, possibly even satanic, but definitely, completely un-American. Sound interesting?

What is the first thing a person learns about Christianity? If they are like most people, the first thing they learn about the "largest religion in the world" - even before they learn the name "Jesus", the anglicized version of Yeshua's actual name - is the term, itself: Christianity. Now, my contention is that the label alone carries a nearly fatal amount of baggage. Depending on who you are, how you grew up, where you live, and ultimately, what you believe, this baggage will either be checked or carried-on. Whichever it may be, we all journey through life with some piece of Christianity on our person. Whether it be its conquests, its charities, its churches, its effects on civilizations or even its calendar - every person in the world has been, in some way, affected by the entity, enterprise, or empire commonly referred to as Christianity.

With all this, you would think that picking Christianity out in a line up would be an easier task. But within this multi-faceted organism, many divergent properties, principles and priorities exist. Christians differ widely in their perspectives on politics, worldview, other faiths and, especially, scripture. Individual beliefs, convictions and observances vary greatly amongst "the faithful" as well. Christianity is like hundreds of fledgling, regional religions living within a larger, less distinguishable, world religion. For these reasons and more, it's difficult, and quickly becoming even more so, to determine precisely which "face" of G-d's Church is doing the speaking, and, perhaps, which "church", if any, you've actually encountered.

For example, and this will surely be met with malice by most until evaluated honestly, in the United States, the term “Christian” is almost completely meaningless. You’re a “Christian” because you’re an American. It’s a completely cultural pedigree assigned to you at birth in most instances - unless it isn't - which only means you'll most likely contract some strain of it later in life. This cultural aspect is, I estimate, far more evident in the southern United States, where I currently live, than in the northern part of the country, where I was born, but Catholics, Mormons, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Protestants, those of non-denominational churches, White Supremacists, and Supersessionists of all stripes can be, and almost always are, considered “Christians” in America. In addition, people with absolutely no religious affiliation whatsoever still often identify themselves as “Christian” because they are “good people” or “patriotic”. In my view, admittedly the far end of the spectrum, the term, literally, means nothing anymore. It’s usage, an ignorant mess and most of what I base this view on, to be honest. It's good for nothing but "to be cast out and trodden underfoot", to borrow an apt phrase from the Master.  If I tell someone in the States that I am a disciple, they’ll most assuredly say, “I am too. Well, I’m a Christian, actually. What’s the difference?” The ensuing discussion is lively and, often times, ends very abruptly just moments later.

My view is that the term "Christian" should be completely abandoned by followers of Yeshua. Like many decisions regarding matters of faith, I understand this to be a personal one, though, and would never force it on another or chide another for its continued use. I would only take the opportunity to ask what it means to them and suggest why I believe it to be pointless – as I have quite a few times. Some calling themselves Christians rarely hold on to any other idea in scripture with as much tenacity as this pejorative propagated in Antioch, thousands of years ago. If they did, I wouldn't be discussing the merits of a recalibration of understanding and clarity.

My opinion on the necessary abandonment only starts with the term, though. There are, obviously, centuries of errant teaching, belief and practice that also need to be completely obliterated from the Christian mindset (but not erased from the Church’s collective memory – as a standing lesson in the destructive power of ignorance and the elevation of tradition over scripture), but that's another post.

In the mind of many Jewish people, even some MJ believers, the term “Christian” is nearly (and completely, for some) synonymous with the term “Nazi”. The visceral reaction “Nazi” (which means "German") elicits in the mind of most of the free world is virtually the same as the one brought forth from the mention of “Christian” in the minds of many Jewish people. This is difficult for many in the western world to understand, but centuries of atrocity, often carried out beneath a “Christian” banner have made it so. This reaction is easily observed in the seemingly illogical and emotional responses we often see from Orthodox Jews in their encounters with "Missionaries" in Israel. Whether they be New Age, Catholic, Protestant or Messianic Jews, the scene is the same. The citizens of many Arab countries, as well, exhibit a venom unmatched and aimed solely at the American way of life, a way of life they understand simply as "Christianity" or "The Great Satan", whichever goes down easier. They see our faith as a polytheistic one that deceives, slaughters or envelops others. These feelings toward Christianity by those outside of it cannot be reasoned away, even with the most airtight argument or patient discussion. Again, there's simply too much centuries-old baggage in the form of inquisitions, crusades and other "holy" conquests still swirling around in the hearts of cultures to which Christianity has "brought the Gospel" in ages past. Only G-d, and those completely submitted to His will, can heal this enormous and still, very open wound, between His true followers and the rest of His children.

Bringing the issue back to my heart, I do not blame Jewish people that are offended by “Christianity” – not in the least. As an institution, it is one of the most offensive mankind has ever produced or been exposed to. We, in this modern age, perceive its effects very differently. The grip of Christianity on the world, once devastatingly rigid and destructive in the vanquishing and/or baptizing of non-believers, is now merely political, socially active, or benign. However, complications in the accurate analysis of its effectiveness can easily arise from the myriad perspectives within that faith. There are many Christians that just don’t know anything of their faith - or what it once was. They know nothing of the completely sinister claims made the "Church Fathers". They have no idea and they really don't care to learn. They are not the candidate for recalibration I have in mind. There are others, though, who are aware of the Church's shadowy history, but still feel that referring to themselves as a Christian is an accurate, if only convenient, descriptor. These are the people with which I would most like to discuss this topic. Many of these types of believers are well aware of how much baggage there is attached to the term and, perhaps, seek to somehow redeem it. I agree that it would be of immeasurable benefit to redeem the term, if it were possible, but it absolutely isn't, in my estimation. At this point in time, I believe, it would be infinitely easier to abandon it altogether, as enormously difficult as that, alone, would be.

I say all that to say that I want to believe that we, in Messianic Judaism know better. We’re trying to repair the world and our relationship with our Jewish brothers and sisters. Messianic Judaism is the culmination of absolutely everything the Jewish People have endured, for better or worse, since the beginning. “Christianity”, on the other hand, the cause of much of it. Messianic Judaism is Judaism, despite the cries of its detractors. No matter what "scholars" thousands of years removed may say, Yeshua was not the "founder" of any institution called “Christianity”, and the many-headed hydra that stands today, is certainly not a form of Judaism. Therefore, in my opinion, the term “Christian” does not, and can not apply to anyone that recognizes, and is sensitive to, these immensely important issues and seeks to humbly serve Yisrael - lovingly guiding them toward their Mashiach, Yeshua - in their own time and in their own way.


In anticipation of misunderstanding...


Some will surely think, "Well, Messianic is the same thing as Christian. One's a Hebrew word and the other is Greek. What's the difference?" "And why are you so ashamed of Christ, anyway?" The disconnect for me, personally, is seeing "Christ" as His actual name (as opposed to His widely advertised and generally accepted one) and the "name" that we shouldn’t be “ashamed” of. True, “Messianic” means the same thing on paper, but has none of the baggage, but to a select few, I suppose. With an enormous, ignorant, anti-Semitic act a day, it would take, literally, eons to build the reputation that “Christianity’s” historic insanity has garnered for itself. A Greek word simply meaning "Anointed One" that developed after His ascension and that’s widely used among New Age cultists, various Eastern religions, besides the plethora of others I mentioned previously, just isn’t worth the trouble it often leaves in its wake, in my opinion.

How far do we go? I have not said, meant to imply, nor do I believe that we should not stand with Christians in persecution. We are one body. I am not saying that we should pretend that we don’t share their faith, either. I would never think such a thing. Messiah has broken down the partition between Jew & Gentile, but we still have an enormous part to play in that. I absolutely would never even think to shut our Gentile brothers out of the fullness of the Kingdom of G-d. Quite the opposite.

In summation, the word, the label “Christian” has long worn out its welcome in many parts of the world still in need of the Gospel – and has “lost its savor” as salt in the West. Many that call themselves by that name have beliefs and priorities completely different than my own and I believe that a distinction ought to be made between true disciples of Messiah and cultural Christianity. I’m talking about abandoning a word – not people. Christians need us now more than ever. I am well aware of the fact that this view will not resonate with everyone and I would never judge another for not subscribing to it. I’m not in a position to improve anything but my own outlook and I am not passing legislation here. I am only offering an idea for discussion among mature, G-d seeking believers.

Imagine a world where all those that called themselves His, everyone that truly belonged to the Messiah of Yisrael, wished to identify with and stand up for His people, Yisrael, so strongly that they shed their Greco-Roman mindsets, terminology and teachings in exchange for Hebraic truths. They embraced Torah. They reached out in love and humility to Yisrael. They shared and moved in the same heart Yeshua did. Do you think the unbelieving world take notice? Would Yisrael? Would Messiah? Of course.

Can it happen? It has already begun.
Can the partition between be rebuilt? I’m afraid so.
Can we talk about it?

2 comments:

  1. I had a nice, long response to your blog, but I guess it was too long because I got a "nastygram" when I clicked "Post Comment". Hopefully an abridged version will work.

    I know that names and labels are important because they communicate ideas, attitudes, and concepts, but the names and labels in and of themselves aren't "magic". If I say "Jesus" instead of "Yeshua", I haven't done anything wrong. I'm simply choosing one expression of his name over another. Spanish speaking people pronounce his name "Hey-Sus". Are we to criticize them for this?

    I wouldn't suggest trying to make "Christianity", "Christ", and "Jesus" obsolete terms. Rather, if you want to build bridges, meet people where they are rather than where you want them to be.

    Last January, I wrote a blog post using the metaphor of riding a runaway horse to describe how to understand therapeutic change (the story is attributed to the theories and practices of legendary hypnotherapist Milton Erickson.

    You can't force a person or a system (including a religion or faith group) to change just because you want them to. However, you can encourage and guide change, sometimes, just by changing yourself and being open to people and systems as they exist.

    Good Shabbos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's awful. I've had to get in the habit of highlighting my comment and copying it before I hit submit, just in case. That has happened to me too many times. Sorry to hear that, James. I like when you get all windy. :^)

    But Yes. Right on as usual. Thank you.
    But as I said numerous times in my post, I'm not forcing anyone to do anything, only asking that they consider an idea, maybe question something.

    And my intention is not to "criticize" anyone, either. I said that 4 or 5 times, as well. While it frustrates me when people say things like, "That's how I learned it." or whatever, I have never once got in an argument with someone over this topic. I do strongly feel, though, that it shouldn't matter what you've "always done". G-d only knows where I would be had I adopted that excuse. G-d willing, we learn and we keep learning. We refine what we've learned and continue refining. Is someone physically able to pronounce the name of Yeshua? Well, I think they should say it correctly in that case. As you know "Yeshua" means Salvation. That's pretty awesome. "Jesus" and "Hey-seus" mean nothing. That's pretty weird. It's like me calling you "Ghamiss". Wouldn't that be strange and disrespectful if you hadn't asked me to call you that and I was perfectly capable of pronouncing your name correctly? Now, imagine if you were the Creator of time-space. How much more should I pronounce your name correctly?

    Again, as I said, this is my opinion - and maybe only mine. If I'm the only one that I ever meet that reveres the name of Yeshua so much that I have trouble hearing those (who know better) call Him "Jesus", "J.C." or "My Homeboy" that's ok, too.

    Real life example of what I mean, we have many Spanish speaking believers in our synagogue and they call Messiah by His name, Yeshua. I have never heard a single one of them call Him "Hey-seus". Not once. We have Ukrainian believers, too. They all say, "Yeshua". How do these folks manage? The same way any of us do, I suppose. You learn something. It affects you. You correct your behavior (not sinful, necessarily) and teach others to consider the same ideas that challenged you.

    It's simple really.

    You said that I "can encourage and guide change, sometimes, just by changing yourself and being open to people and systems as they exist." That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm not, as I wrote, passing legislation here or telling anyone that they're in sin or something. I'm just questioning things and hoping others will question them, too - even question me. That's the whole idea. I know very little about a great many things. Correct me if I'm wrong.

    Questioning, learning, refining - I can't think of a more "open" way to be.

    Shabbat Shalom, James!! And thanks again!

    ReplyDelete