5.10.2011

Beit Tefilah

"And the foreigners who join themselves to Adonai to serve Him, to love the name of Adonai, and to be his workers, all who keep Shabbat and do not profane it, and hold fast to My covenant, I will bring them to My holy mountain and make them joyful in My Beit Tefilah (house of prayer)... for My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations."
Isaiah 56:6-7

In this season, as we anxiously await the giving of Torah (and the outpouring of the Ruach Ha Kodesh), G-d has put it on my heart to circle back and re-examine a few things I may have only lightly studied over the years. Recently, I've been digging around in centuries-old thought on both sides of the Body and one important topic continues to surface - Shabbat, the Sabbath. Its meaning, keeping, altering and ignoring have been continually present, no matter the larger topic being discussed. It seems that a great many things might stem from our understanding of one of the most misunderstood commandments. The scripture from Isaiah (above) is but one example of how Shabbat observance is viewed as an outstanding qualifier, so to speak, by G-d Himself. Why is it so important? Can it be observed any day of the week? Believing our understanding of Shabbat to be foundational to our walk and accurate view of Torah, I'd like to highlight a few different things for us to discuss over the next day or so. I hope you will join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment